Product Strategy can be defined as a set of plans and policies formulated to guide or direct the development or deployment of a product.
For your business to develop properly, you need to make sure that your products are always on demand by the customers. This article will focus more on creating a product strategy for your business because this is one of the major aspects to consider in order for your business to succeed.
Table of Contents
To be able to create an effective product strategy, there are 5 steps that you need to take into account:
1. Perform Market Research If you want your product strategy to be efficient, it would be best for you if you check the market trend first. And after checking up about this matter, you can start planning how you would like your company’s products to develop.
2. Define Your Product Strategy Once you have done your research on the market, it would be best for you to develop an effective product strategy plan so that this can be beneficial to your company in the long run due to its effectiveness and good quality output thus being sold more by the customers.
Here are important factors that you have to consider when developing your product strategy plan:
a) Product Line
b) Core Value Proposition
c) Brand Promises
d) Competitive Advantage
3. Develop a Pricing Strategy Nowadays, there are a lot of companies out there which are selling their products at an expensive price although it might be worthless in the eyes of the customers. Therefore, when coming up with your own product strategy plan, make sure that your company’s product or service is attracting potential customers by developing a pricing strategy which is usually associated with one ‘s market.
Here are important factors that you have to consider when developing your company’s pricing strategy:
a) Identify & Analyze the Price strategy
b) Developing Your Pricing Strategy
c) Evaluating Your Price
d) Deciding on Your Goal
4. Market Penetration Once you already have developed your effective product and pricing strategies, it is time for you to move forward and create awareness of these strategies so more customers can come and buy from your company. ‘Market penetration’ is the act of increasing your market share by selling more of your products to other people.
5. Market Development When you have already gained a significant amount of customers, it means that you are ready for market development which is actually an effort to make sure that these loyal customers keep buying from you in the long term. There are cases when a business is not doing well at all and its managers understand that they need to do something about it. They usually start looking for possible solutions and one thing they can try is making their current customers buy more from them by implementing different marketing strategies such as loyalty programs or discounts, etc. In short, this process will benefit the company’s sales but at the initial stage, it will most likely affect the company’s cash flow negatively.
How can you avoid it?
There are many companies that do not set up some process that will ensure that they do not spend more than they received. They use the money they generate on continuing their business, investments and other processes like marketing, without even thinking of the current situation. This is one of the mistakes most businesses make. They cannot stop spending money because of natural excitement about their product or services but this is actually very dangerous for their future development. Businesses should always look for actions which will ensure their stable growth in the long term and help them to develop further without risks of failures anytime soon.
This means that you should create a long-term plan. This is very important for any company or start up since this will help you to follow the right direction and find out what actions are needed at each stage of development. Such a strategy will lead you to success in future without having financial problems.
To ensure stability it is necessary to develop products with competitive advantages. It is not possible to protect all aspects of product development, but there are two things that can be protected by law – Idea (software) and Design (product). To make sure that these two parts are secured, you should patent them.
It sort of means that you have to do certain steps before starting any business. One of these is finding out what the core business value is. It has to be something valuable for customers and at the same time can bring profit. Once this action is done, you need to offer products with high quality to your potential clients which will result in returning visitors over time.