As a healthcare practitioner, the most used tool that you may have is a stethoscope. The importance of a Littmann classic iii stethoscope is often disregarded by everyone in the industry. But it all changes right after you find out how dependent you may be on it. Guess you are already there and want to take care of it.
Well, it is essential to understand that it takes much more than just regular maintenance to extend the life of this tool. Simply because, this tool remains in the hospitals and clinics where germs, infections and contaminants are likely to arise. Even though disinfecting the pieces could be helpful, there are a few more things that you can practice to take complete care of this tool. So let’s find out about it all by reading until the end.
Table of Contents
To clean the stethoscope in the right manner, certain steps must be followed including
- The entire stethoscope must be disinfected in the first place, to begin with the process. For this purpose, 70% isopropyl alcohol can be used.
- Make sure to remove the diaphragm from the chest piece in the second step. Then the diaphragm and the ear pieces must be cleaned. Also, do not forget the tubing.
- Once you are done cleaning, let the parts air dry before you reassemble them. It is important to keep in mind that even little moisture can lead to inaccurate readings and cause the growth of bacteria.
- Lastly, store the stethoscope in a proper place away from sunlight and other elements like dust.
If you are inexperienced, then here are a few tips given below which you must keep in mind before cleaning the Littmann classic iii stethoscope.
- If you want to disinfect the stethoscope, then you can choose to wipe it with the help of 70% isopropyl alcohol solution.
- Prohibit exposing the stethoscope to intense heat or cold. Also, do not apply solvents or oil to it.
- It is important to avoid using hand sanitizer to clean the stethoscope as it can cause damage.
- Keep it away from direct exposure to sunlight as it may cause the tubing to get hard.
- Avoid putting the tool through a sterilizing procedure as it may get damaged entirely.
- You can clean the surfaces with soapy water once you take out the diaphragm from the chestpiece.
- Do not assemble the Littmann stethoscope until and unless it has completely air-dried.
- Make sure not to use any kind of sharp tools to clean the stethoscope. Also when using the tools from the cleaning kit, make sure to gather proper knowledge beforehand to avoid damaging the stethoscope in any way.
There are many other ways you can protect the stethoscope rather than just regularly cleaning it. Some of these ways include the following
With the rise in innovation, there are many protective tools and gears present that can make your stethoscope secure for usage without any worry. One such is the Littmann ear tips that help to ensure optimal acoustic performance besides aiding comfort. They also provide a complete seal with the ear which further helps in blocking the outside sound
Another way you can keep the stethoscope protected is by using a cover for it. As you use a stethoscope cover, it maintains the cleanliness of the tube and protects both the healthcare provider as well as the patient. Moreover, the durability of the tool is increased.
You must keep hold of a cleaning kit for the stethoscope to prevent the spread of infections and increase durability. Also as you have your cleaning kit, you can use it any time to keep the tool in top condition for making accurate readings.
As a health care practitioner, keeping the stethoscope hung around your neck does not seem the right thing to do. Also forcing it inside your back may cause wear and tear. This is why using a stethoscope storage case seems an ideal option on the go as it keeps it both safe and organized.
You must protect your stethoscope by adding a stethoscope ID tag to it. Being a practical item, it helps to prevent confusion or losing it in any way. You can simply write down your name and other information on the ID tag ensuring it stays with you.
There are times when you might not have enough time to clean the stethoscope. Eventually, it may have led to a decrease in its quality causing inaccurate readings. You may find cakey dust present alongside the tube to become gummy. Even after several attempts of cleaning, if the quality of the tool does not get back to normal, then know that it is already time to get a new one.
Simply because using a bad-quality stethoscope may not be appropriate for your practice as it could offer inaccurate diagnosis causing your patients to suffer. As stethoscopes improve practice and help enhance care for the patients, there should be no kind of negligence done.
To make an accurate diagnosis, having the right type of Littmann stethoscope is essential. And to get the best quality ones that meet the medical standard, you can come to us at Med Guard. We are the leading wholesalers and retailers of all types of medical supplies in the United Kingdom.
As you browse through our website, you may come across products from both in-house and popular brands. Over the years, we have been the proud distributors of Stethoscopes that guarantee comfort and durability. All you have to do is pick the one of your choice and get it delivered to your doorstep at affordable prices.